Monday, August 29, 2011

Feather Dreamcatcher

So, I went to Austin this weekend to (mostly) visit my brother and sister! I'm so proud of them, my sister got into University of Texas and my brother is attending Texas State (they're twins, by the way). My sister asked me to make curtains for her dorm and I, kind of on whim decided to make her a dreamcatcher! I was inspired by Lune Vintage on this one. I love her blog and this project I just HAD to do! I never would have thought of this, it's pretty freaking genius. So anyways here is what I used:

blogged

An embroidery hoop, a doily, needle, some yarn, some jewelry jump rings, and some jewelry wire.

My hoop was just small enought to fit my doily so I didn't need to pin the doily to the hoop. Refer to Lune's tutorial to see how to do this. So now, I layed out the doily inside the hoop. Thread your needle (don't cut thread) and pull out about 2 feet from the roll.

blogged

Start threading through the outer holes of the doily and wrap around edge of embroidery hoop.

When you've used up all the string, make a guess-timate  and cut the string enought that it will finish the wrapping.  

Together the two end pieces and make a bow if wanted.

blogged

After, I  coiled wire, hot glues a feather inside, and put a bead on a wire.

blogged
 
blogged

I used this website to learn how to use the jewelry stuff, (also how to open jump rings was helpful). Then attacth a bead to the middle and some feathers to the bottom.

blogged

So cute, right?! I love my sister, she makes me proud! Here's her portion of her dorm:

blogged

I love the colors she chose and she stole my coral yarn (luckily, right after I made this!) and used it, unknowning of my diy dreamcatcher! It worked out perfectly (:

blogged
 
Her bedspread and cute matching (but not too much!) pillow.
 
blogged
 
Oh, and here are the curtains I made. They've got two tiers of a pretty turquoise jersey material And then there's Brandon... stealing my favorite denim button up. Atleast he pulls it off... right?


Signature copy