Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Desk Area Makeover

I took a bit of a computer break this weekend and boy was it nice! I've been so busy, busy, busy traveling everywhere and trying to fit everything in and being on the computer wasn't one of them!

**Also, I want to tell you guys about the new "Love a Local Business" button on the left. I would love for you guys to vote for my business  to give me a chance to win a small business grant! Every vote counts, it only takes a second!

Back to the post! I did this makeover about a week or two ago but it's been a while since I did a diy project so here we go!

 
Here's what my desk area looked like before:



blogged
 

I got the desk from my dad, he built it way back in the 70's (can ya tell?). This was one of my projects to get rid of some of the dark wood all over my apartment. And then the plastic drawers underneath are used for storing office type stuff since the desk doesn't have any. They drive me crazy becaue it just looks so messy with the drawers being see through so I decided to paint those as well.
 
So I started with the desk. I decided not to paint the whole thing, just the top.
 
blogged
 
First I taped off the parts the paint would end at.
 
blogged
 
Next, I painted a coat or two... or three of primer (depends on the darkness of the wood).
 
blogged
 
Next I painted it all white.
 
blogged
 
Then I taped off sections of about 4"
 
blogged
 
And painted a couple coats of grey.
 
blogged
 
Take off the tape and let all the paint dry.
 
blogged
 
Finito!
 
 
And now the drawer thing:
 
blogged
 
I coated it with primer
 
blogged
 
Another coat of primer
 
blogged
 
And a coat of mint (the same I used on the nightstand). Ahh, so much better than before!
 
blogged
 
Here is the area afterwards:
 
blogged
 
I also used some duct tape to clean up the wires that were hanging everywhere. I want to get a filing cabinet too. The blue box is cram packed with files and the see-through-ness is bugging me. Hope everyone had a great weekend! I'm so not ready for it to be the week... Oi
 
Signature copy