Friday, June 24, 2011

Hair Dying: Brown To Red

The original plan was letting the majority of my hair stay the natural color and dying the blonde tips blue or pink. And then one day I went to Walgreens and saw a girl with red hair and blonde tips and I just fell in love. I went straight to the hair care isle and bought myself some red hair dye! I feel like I should have been born a red-head. It goes so well with my complextion and freckles! The only drawback is that I was just starting to like wearing red lipstick and now it clashes too much with my hair! Oh well, I'd take the red hair over red lips any day. Anyways here's a little tutorial on what I did.
 
First, here's some pictures on what my hair looked like before. It's so weird, before I got pregnant my hair was like a light, mousy, brown but now it's super dark brown and I'm not exactly a fan. It's just soo dark and I guess I'm not used to it? Who knows, but I really like it red.
 


blogged


 
Here is what I used, first I had to lighten my hair (bleaching) so that the red would show up. I used about 2 ounces of 20 volume developer.
 
blogged

And this violet Kaleidocolor toner (because I think I have a little red in my hair already and this kind of neutralizes it). 


blogged
 


Pour both into a non metal container and mix until some what smooth.
 


blogged


I then applied it to all the brown hair about 1" away from my roots. I learned from experience that your roots will bleach faster than the rest of your hair because of your body heat so do that last.


blogged



Once you've finished that, leave on for about 5 more minutes and then go back and do your roots. Cover with plastic wrap to trap in the moisture and then blow dry on low for another 5 minutes.
 


blogged
 

Rinse hair out with luke warm water. I always rinse my hair with a mild shampoo too, just to make sure it's all out.


blogged
 
You can either blow dry your hair a little or if you have the patience, let it air dry for a bit. I didn't dry it all the way but so that it wasn't too damp.

Now you are ready for color. I used this Revlon "Medium Auburn" (it was like $4 and the only color that I liked, score!)


blogged


Follow the directions on the box. Mix, apply to hair, timing, and so on.


blogged
 


blogged


I think I left mine in for like 15 minutes. And then rinse with whatever conditioner they give you.

And here is the after picture:


blogged
 
I really love it. Oh and here is where I got everything:
 
20 Volume Peroxide, Kaleidocolors Toner- Sally's
Mixing Bowl, Applicator Brush, Mixer, and Clips- Sally's
Revlon Hair Dye- Walgreens



Signature copy