Monday, May 9, 2011

DIY Shelf

In my old room, I had an entire wall of shelves but when we moved to our apartment we had no where to put our books! I went through so many ideas before I settled on this one. I was able to make it myself for very cheap and it can grow with our collection of books!



This was kind of my inspiration for the actual desk part of it.
 
I probably spent around $20 for the desk and the rest was just scraps that were laying around. Here's how I did it:
 
I bought two spindles (I think these are supposed to be for stairs)
 

I used screws we already had

Then I bought a 2" x 2" and cut it to the length of the spindles (for the back legs)


And then I bought a piece of 1" x 12" for the top.


I attached the spindles first, flipped it over and attached the two 2" x 2" pieces.


Then I bought a quart of white paint and put a coat on.

Here's the finished product. It was sooo unbelievable easy. Then I used some scraps from our bed and made crates for our books to go on top.


We put it right next to our mini papasan chair and now we have a cute little reading nook!

Haaaa, not really. The chair usually ends up as a catch-all but I'm just glad to finally have a place for our books! We are down to two unpacked boxes and I have hope! This house tour is being delayed longer than I thought but I don't want to rush anything. I know it takes time to really settle into a place, especially since this is our first place and I'm still collecting decorations to fill it up! But maybe within the next month... or two.



And I'll end this with a cute picture of Eliza, after destroying a bowl of fruit. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Signature copy