Monday, April 11, 2011

Nightstand


My dad had this nightstand up in his attic and was going to trash it when I took it in a gave it a little makeover!

Fun fact: My mom is a faux painter and I worked with her during the summer's of my high school years so I picked up some awesome antiqueing tips. So this is how I gave this nightstand a much needed makeover!

What you'll need:
Kilz (primer)
Sandpaper
Paint (color of choice)
Vaseline
New hardware
 Optional
Pick thing
Hammer

  1. First step is to sand your piece of furniture down a little bit so the primer can get a good stick.
    2. Primer your furniture. I did three layers but it just depends on what kind you use and the original color of your piece.
    3. Optional: Take your pick thing (sorry I don't know the real name of it) and your hammer and gently hammer a few shallow holes in random groups around your piece of furniture. Avoid making it look too symmetrical!
    4. To make it easier to take off the last layer of paint, we are going to apply some vaseline to the edges and corners of the piece of furniture.  Depending on how much you want to antique will determine the amount you should use. My mom used special wax but I got this great idea to use vaseline from here.
    5. Apply a coat of the paint you chose.
    6. Paint your handle. Give it an hour or two to dry and then sand it a little to rough it up a bit.
    7. After the paint on your furniture has dried, you're going to take your sandpaper and lightly sand the edges and corners.
    8. Attatch your distressed handle, step back, and give yourself a pat on the back!





 I loved the way this turned out and it just looks sooo much better than before. What do you guys think?
 
Signature copy