Thursday, March 17, 2011

Going No Poo!

 



The first step in my "going green" is going "no poo"! I've quit using store bought shampoo and conditioner for three reasons.
1. It's bad for your body. It has toxins in it that are just not good and shampoo strips your hair and makes it more oily which in turn makes you use more and waste more money. Did you know your body produces oils that naturally condition your hair?
2. It's cheaper to make your own.
3. Making your own decreases your waste of all those shampoo/conditioner bottles.
 
I've done a lot of research and this is what I'm trying out right now. I'm not an expert, so you should do your own research and see what will work best for you and your body.
 
Shampoo/Cleansing product:

  • 1-2 tbs of baking powder
  • Glass full of water

I put this into an old shampoo bottle and just squirt it on. It's a little hard to tell where it's going because it doesn't sud but it does make your hair feel squeeky clean.
 
Conditioner:

  • 1-2 tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • 2-3 tbs honey
  • glass full of water
  • I haven't yet but I plan to add some vanilla to experiment with smell

I am currently using a squirt bottle that I got from Sally's beauty store and just squirt this solution in my hair. Make sure you keep this out of yours eyes because I hear that it can burn. Apple cider vinegar is supposedly less harsh and won't smell as bad as regular vinegar but I didn't smell it at all during the shower. And if you rinse properly, it shouldn't smell when it dries anyways. This makes your hair feel nice and smooth, like conditioner!
 
 
Results:
 
I know it's going to take a little bit for my body to get used to this but I already love how clean my hair feels. It doesn't feel like there's any residue at all, it is a little oily right now but that's expected. The best part is that my just looks awesome, it's wavy and looks so rich without looking weighed down or oily. This "no poo" process should restore balance to your hair and eventually you'll only have to wash your hair every like 10 days! Your natural oils will keep your hair nice and pretty the way it's supposed to. Plus you're going to save money and be eco-friendly!
 
I'll share my next "going green" step in the next post. I'll give you a hint! It involves worms... hehe. Till next time!
 
Signature copy