Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Austin/SXSW

So I went to Austin, TX last weekend. Partly because it was spring break but also because of South by South West. It's a huge music festival that takes place all week long all over the city of Austin. And I'm talking about all over, there were bands everywhere you looked! In every bar, restaurant, streetcorner, and venue.


If you didn't already know, Brandon (the fiance) and I plan on moving to Austin as soon as we can get on our own two feet. We love everything about it, not to mention most of our friends live there now too. It's like a culture shock everytime I go, I always come back rejuvinated and inspired. I've stepped into this world of blogging, and Etsy, and crafting but can only live it through the internet because there's not a whole lot of it around here. I feel like I fit in when I'm in Austin and I can't really describe it other than Austin is more my "taste" than Houston. Don't get me wrong, Houston will always be my home but I gotta step out of the nest sometime!

Anyhow, I visited a lot of cute vintage stores while I was there...


And listened to some great music, this guy included.





Brandon and my brother


and my discolored moccasins...


Last but not least, one of the highlights of my weekend: The Knitted Wonderland!
"...led by textile artist Magda Sayeg, the trunks of all 99 trees in between the museum’s Michener and Smith buildings have been covered with colorful yarn, crafted by over 170 local volunteer knitters. In a community effort reminiscent of American quilting bees, Sayeg’s intervention with the space will transform visitor’s experience of the natural landscape. The work also responds to pieces in the museum’s current exhibition, Recovering Beauty, which focuses on the use of crafts and a return to beauty, color, and playfulness... "


Is this cool or what? 


 
Signature copy