Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Table Runner

Well I thought I was back? I'm sorry for the absence, it's been hectic around here. This short summer class is kicking my butt!

Anyways, I've been trying to come up with a summery idea for a table runner/centerpiece and I could not for the life of me find anything on Internet that satisfied me. So I just whipped up my own! It was super easy, I did it in about an hour and cheap, about $5! And I think it turned out pretty cute, so here's what I did.


Materials:
Fabric (I used muslin)
Scraps for end pieces and yo yo's
Scissors
Needle
Thread
Sewing machine
Serger (optional)
Hot glue gun and glue

1. Cut your main fabric piece. I cut mine to 47" x 13".


2. Cut your end pieces. I cut two little slivers of blue plaid to add a bit of color. I cut them to 3" x 13".
3. Sew end pieces to main piece right sides together.


4. Serge all four sides, this part is optional. You can sew binding on or just fold the edges over a little and stitch it up.
5. Make your yo-yo's. Here is an awesome tutorial. Tip: I sewed long stitches so that there wouldn't be a gap in the middle, so keep that in mind. You can also stick some buttons on top to add a little somethin' somethin'.
6. Arrange them as you wish. I had in mind a different arrangement but it didn't look the way I had pictured it so I tried something different. Here are a couple of options.





7. Glue those babies down! Make sure you get around the edges so they stay flat. I also put a tiny bit through the hole just so it sticks down.
8. Put on table and enjoy!


P.S. Sorry for the crappy pics!